[IPython-User] ipython qtconsole hangs mayavi window on Mac

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Mon Feb 20 22:23:39 CST 2012

Hi Stefan,

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 2:37 AM, Stefan <shmueller2@gmail.com> wrote:
> When launched from ipython (no qtconsole), a mayavi window comes up, and one
> can see the window title changing fast from "TVTK" to "Mayavi Scene 1",
> after which one can interact with the figure to make a parametric surface
> plot, for example. However, ipython's responsiveness to keyboard input slows
> *very significantly* after issuing the above 4 commands. Too much for me to
> work on...
>
> On a fresh ipython qtconsole, the code above hangs after generating the
> "TVTK" window. The title does not change to "Mayavi Scene 1" - instead one
> sees the Mac spinning color wheel and cannot interact in any way with the
> figure. The qtconsole remains responsive, but the TVTK window doesn't
> respond to any commands. The only way to kill the window is to exit the
> qtconsole.
>
> I tried googling "ipython qtconsole mayavi hangs on mac" but didn't get any
> useful results.

We have two nasty open issues that appear somewhat related, but not
quite identical:

https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/481
https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/1184

Does any of the discussion in there help in any way?  Sorry not to
have a better answer right now, I use mayavi regularly and haven't
seen these problems, but I'm on linux and not OSX...