[IPython-User] different behavior of show() in qtconsole?

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Mon Feb 20 22:27:48 CST 2012

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 12:51 PM, Mark Bakker <markbak@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am running the QtConsole, IPython v.0.12 (EPD on a Mac) and am plotting my
> graphs in separate figures (so not inline).
> In the past, with regular IPython, I always needed a show() command at the
> end of my script to see the figure.
> Not so anymore in the QtConsole. Correct?

No, it's still the same as always.  If you do

%run script.py

then that script must have an explicit show() call at the end, as always.

And as always, plotting calls typed *interactively* no not require
explicit show().

The only difference is that in the qtconsole it's realistic to type a
relatively long bit of code interactively (or paste it, or use
%loadpy).  But the behavior regarding show() hasn't changed one bit.