[IPython-User] Status of ipython.el and relationship with python-mode.el

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Mon Feb 20 22:34:50 CST 2012

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 9:36 AM, rosoloum <ribonucleico@gmail.com> wrote:
> I learned that ipython.el is known to be out of date, and that the IPython
> community is working on a fix. More specifically the accepted answer in
> StackOverflow points to this other thread in github:
> "Emacs freezes when tab is hit in ipython with latest python-mode":
> https://github.com/ipython/ipython/pull/1015
>
> It looks like there was some substantial activity in that github thread, but
> I couldn't find any references to the fixes mentioned in the thread in the
> mailing list archives for users or devs, nor a follow-up discussion.
>
> With this, I have a few, hopefully short questions:
> * What is the status of this?

Well, that PR got merged, so for the most part I guess it's in good
shape, modulo recent comments by Andreas at the end linking to an
upstream bug.

> * Is ipython.el now bundled withing the ipython package? Is there a site
> where I can track the progress in this direction? (the GitHub thread above
> says it's closed)

Yes, ipython.el has always been shipped with ipython:

https://github.com/ipython/ipython/blob/master/docs/emacs/ipython.el

> * Does ipython.el need python-mode.el to work?

Yes, though as Andreas mentioned, recent versions of python-mode seem
to include ipython.el's functionality.

Ultimately, we'd be very happy with *not* shipping ipython.el
ourselves, and having all that be done upstream.  We're not elisp
experts, and ipython.el is in eternal disrepair (though we've recently
had some great help, for which we are very grateful).  If the support
in the upstream python-mode fully matures, we could at least deprecate
the standalone file as a solution only for users of older python-mode
versions.

We'd be happy to follow the lead of the python-mode experts on this;
we simply don't have the bandwidth and expertise to do a good job on
emacs support ourselves.