[IPython-User] %edit in qtconsole vs ipython

Ches Martin ches@whiskeyandgrits....
Tue Feb 21 04:13:40 CST 2012

Fernando Perez <fperez.net <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Christoph Deil <deil.christoph <at>
googlemail.com> wrote:
> > On Aug 1, 2011, at 7:33 PM, MinRK wrote:
> >
> > To my taste, switching the
> > default, and having `%edit -r foo` to also run the file would be
> > preferable.
> >
> > -MinRK
> >
> > +1
>
> Before we revert a long-standing default, I'd like to hear more feedback from
users, because I personally
> know a number of people who do love the default behavior.  Since it's more
common to speak up about things we
> don't like than those we do, there's a real risk that by responding to a few
vocal requests for change, we may
> alienate a larger group who was happy with the current behavior.
>
> I have no problem with changing defaults when the original choice was
obviously wrong. But in cases where
> there's more of a gray area (or where we see evidence of personal preferences
pointing both ways), we
> should simply stick with the existing choices (adding when possible more
configurability).

> Cheers,

Apologies for unearthing an old thread here...

I do miss this behavior, for loading ranges of input history into my editor for
amendments -- the %run magic is no help when interactively-entered code doesn't
exist in a file yet. %recall is sometimes useful but if there are more than a
few lines I'd prefer my editor.

It seems in the current 0.12 release that code isn't executed after %edit when
using qtconsole, and the -x option doesn't exist, but %edit? still shows the
terminal documentation that includes -x. I'd be fine with execution being off by
default and requiring an option (or setting) as others suggested, but I really
do wish the possibility for edit-and-execute was available at all (maybe I'm
missing it?).

The -r flag suggested is already taken, perhaps -x could be a toggle based on a
setting.

Regards,
Ches