[IPython-User] %edit in qtconsole vs ipython

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Tue Feb 21 08:44:22 CST 2012

On 20 February 2012 16:37, Ches Martin <ches@whiskeyandgrits.net> wrote:
> It seems in the current 0.12 release that code isn't executed after %edit when
> using qtconsole, and the -x option doesn't exist, but %edit? still shows the
> terminal documentation that includes -x. I'd be fine with execution being off by
> default and requiring an option (or setting) as others suggested, but I really
> do wish the possibility for edit-and-execute was available at all (maybe I'm
> missing it?).

It's tricky to do well in a GUI environment. In the terminal, we
assume that the editor command will block execution until the user
closes it. But the command to launch a GUI editor may return
immediately, and if the editor has multiple files open, closing it to
run one file is impractical.

As a compromise, you can use %save to get interactively entered code
into a file, then %edit and %run to use it.

Thomas