[IPython-User] %edit in qtconsole vs ipython

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Wed Feb 22 08:48:09 CST 2012

On 21 February 2012 20:34, Ches Martin <ches@whiskeyandgrits.net> wrote:
> I can see what you're getting at if you're thinking in terms of a console
> editor, taking over the terminal until it quits and returns to IPython, but this
> actually works fine already with a GUI editor and IPython running in the
> terminal. Using gvim with the -f option for foreground (or alternatives like
> --remote-wait), TextMate with `mate -w` for wait, etc. and saving and closing
> the window/buffer opened by ipython returns and executes as expected. Quitting
> the editor completely, with other previously-opened files, isn't necessary.
> Shouldn't it be possible to wait on a child process in qtconsole in the same way?

It's possible to wait for a subprocess, but GUI editors don't have
consistent support for that behaviour, and I think people felt that it
was better to provide a simple model that worked everywhere (%edit
opens it for editing), rather than adding something which a lot of
users would find didn't work. There were some calls to not execute by
default even in the terminal, but evidently that view didn't win out.

People might revisit the discussion if you persuade them that your
system is preferable. I'm fairly ambivalent about it, not being a
heavy user of the feature.

Best wishes,
Thomas