[IPython-User] mathjax version 2

Comer Duncan comer.duncan@gmail....
Wed Feb 22 13:20:41 CST 2012

Hi Toby,

> Could you post this notebook somewhere? I’m just learning to use it, and am
> teaching the same sort of class.

It is still in progress.  I can try to post in on my blog sometime
soon. I will let you know when it is up.

What are you teaching?

Cheers,

Comer

> Like you, I  would love to have lots of examples, it is so easy to deal
> with.

Yes, the examples included with ipython are a start but being able to
see more variety would be cool.  I do understand if people are
reticent to post the examples, though.  My view of notebooks are that
with elaboration in some useful properties perhaps, they may
eventually approach a real research tool.  That is one can begin to
use them as a record of musings, experiments, and results with
appropriate prose.  That is, a real notebook! Maybe many others are
already doing this but we don't see much made available.  I want to
encourage that to change!

> That applies to the developers, too: I’m waiting for some nice notebooks
> beyond that into, especially for using the parallel facility.

I agree that more about the parallel side would be very useful and
would promote others to devise their own and share.  How about a
ipython site devoted to contain user-contributed ipython notebooks? I
know that the developers have their plates full but this would be nice
for both user use and encouragement. Open source/open notebooks is a
reasonable idea I think.

Thanks for all that the ipython developers have done to make ipython a
really useful tool.

Comer