[IPython-User] Fwd: [mathjax-users] MathJax v2.0 release scheduled for Sunday, Feb 26th

Comer Duncan comer.duncan@gmail....
Fri Feb 24 08:57:34 CST 2012

Hi,

In case you don't subscribe to MathJax list, here is a message from
Davide Cervone relevant to the switch over from the current version
1.1 to version 2.0. I am passing it along in case you will need to do
something to make version 2.0 available to ipython users via CDN.

Thanks.

Comer

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Davide P. Cervone <dpvc@union.edu>
Date: Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 9:28 AM
Subject: [mathjax-users] MathJax v2.0 release scheduled for Sunday, Feb 26th
To: mathjax-users@googlegroups.com, mathjax-dev@googlegroups.com
Cc: MathJax Plus <MathJaxPlus@dessci.com>

MathJax v2.0 is scheduled to be released this Sunday, February 26th.
At that time, the master branch at GitHub will become v2.0 and we will
tag it and form a 2.0-latest branch, as described in the MathJax
installation documentation.

At the same time, the CDN will be updated to include a
mathjax/2.0-latest directory, and the mathjax/latest URL will be
switched to point to that.  If you are using

http://cdn.mathjax.org/mathjax/latest/MathJax.js

in your pages, then you will start using MathJax v2.0 automatically
when the switch occurs; there is nothing you need to do to upgrade to
the new version.  If you are using mathjax/1.1-latest, then you will
continue to receive MathJax v1.1a until you change to the 2.0-latest
URL.  If you have your own copy of MathJax on your server, you will
need to upgrade it to the new version; see

http://www.mathjax.org/docs/2.0/installation.html

for details about upgrading using git, svn, or a zip archive.

MathJax v2.0 has been in beta test for several weeks, and we are
confident that the switchover should be a smooth one.  We have made
backward compatibility an important goal, but there are a few items
that you may need to be aware of.  See

http://www.mathjax.org/docs/2.0/whats-new-2.0.html#important-changes-from-previous-versions

for details of the changes that might affect you.  If you wish to stay
at v1.1, you should use the mathjax/1.1-latest URL rather than
mathjax/latest when you load MathJax.

During the cutover to v2.0, the files at mathjax/latest will be
switched from v1.1a to v2.0.  Since the URL is unchanged, however,
that means some users may have cached copies of v1.1a for some files,
but receive v2.0 versions of others.  That may cause MathJax to fail
for those users.  To help reduce the time period where users may have
a mix of versions in their cache, we are temporarily reducing the
expiration times for the CDN to 1 hour.  That should mean that the
caches are flushed quickly in hopes of minimizing any caching problems
during the version change.  The longer expiration time will be
restored later in the week, once the transition is complete.

If you get complaints about MathJax not working, you should suggest
that your users clear their cache and restart their browser (some
browsers require the restart to fully clear the cache).  If that does
not resolve the problem, please report the details to us at

https://github.com/mathjax/MathJax/issues

or via the MathJax user's form at

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/mathjax-users

Thank you for your continued support and use of MathJax.

Davide P. Cervone
MathJax developer