[IPython-User] Novice notebook questions

Angus McMorland amcmorl@gmail....
Tue Feb 28 07:23:08 CST 2012

On 28 February 2012 02:51, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 10:07 PM, Mike Witt <msg2mw@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Two beginner questions on the IPython notebook:
>>
>> (1) I seem to be able to select text in the notebook and paste it
>>     somewhere else (into an xterm for example). But I can't figure
>>     out how to select text somewhere outside the notebook and paste
>>     it into a notebook cell. This is on Linux. I would normally just
>>     select the text and paste it with the middle mouse button.
>
> The middle-button paste event isn't correctly handled by codemirror,
> so you must use the actual clipboard (Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V) instead, and not
> the X11 selection.

I've found I can get usually get middle-click pasting to work if I
first left-click in the output section of another cell (which changes
the focus in some mysterious but beneficial way), and then
middle-click in the cell I want to paste into.

Good luck.

Angus
--
AJC McMorland