[IPython-User] Novice notebook questions

Mike Witt msg2mw@gmail....
Tue Feb 28 10:55:33 CST 2012

On 02/28/2012 05:23:08 AM, Angus McMorland wrote:
> On 28 February 2012 02:51, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 10:07 PM, Mike Witt <msg2mw@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> Two beginner questions on the IPython notebook:
> >>
> >> (1) I seem to be able to select text in the notebook and paste it
> >>     somewhere else (into an xterm for example). But I can't figure
> >>     out how to select text somewhere outside the notebook and paste
> >>     it into a notebook cell. This is on Linux. I would normally
> just
> >>     select the text and paste it with the middle mouse button.
> >
> > The middle-button paste event isn't correctly handled by codemirror,
> > so you must use the actual clipboard (Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V) instead, and
> not
> > the X11 selection.
>
> I've found I can get usually get middle-click pasting to work if I
> first left-click in the output section of another cell (which changes
> the focus in some mysterious but beneficial way), and then
> middle-click in the cell I want to paste into.

Hmm... Doesn't appear to work here. I suppose this could be browser
dependent too(?) But I suppose this isn't really very critical. I was
just surprised, and figured that I just didn't understand how to do it.

-Mike