[IPython-User] Notebook rename vs "save as"

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Wed Jan 4 14:07:34 CST 2012

We are about to refactor the Ui and we absolutely need to distinguish
between rename and save as.

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Chris Currivan <ccurrivan@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was surprised to discover that the save/rename function in the
> notebook actually renames the notebook file instead of doing a "save
> as".

Being somewhat sarcastic:  but the UI label says "rename" not "save
as".  You were surprised that rename does a rename?

More seriously, I agree with you that it is a bit confusing, mostly
because there is not a separate Save As/Duplicate option.  We will
definitely implement this.

 I understand wanting to rename the original Untitled* files, but
> I think it will be fairly common to work on mynotebook and want to
> play with mynotebook_test without losing the original or having to
> back it up manually. Can the behavior be changed to add separate
> rename and save-as buttons when the user edits the filename?
>
> -Chris

Brian E. Granger