[IPython-User] SAGE notebook vs iPython notebook

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Fri Jan 6 11:17:12 CST 2012

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 3:44 AM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why are we recreating a notebook, when SAGE's already works? I expect other
> people will weigh in with different motivations, but first off, it works
> without a 400MB download ;-). SAGE is kind of an ecosystem of its own,
> bundling a lot of libraries into its package system. That has various
> consequences:
> - Linux distributions won't package SAGE, whereas soon you'll be able to do
> "apt-get install ipython notebook"
> - To run SAGE on Windows, you set up a virtual machine to run Linux. IPython
> can run natively.
> - SAGE ships its own copy of Python (by the looks of it, that's currently
> version 2.6.4). IPython can be installed on other versions, including Python
> 3.

All very valid and correct points, I'll provide some extra perspective
in a separate reply.

> None of the above is criticising SAGE - the project has its own goals, and
> what they're doing makes sense for that. But for IPython, it's important to
> fit into the general Python landscape. Although we are in touch with SAGE,
> and hopefully there's room to collaborate and share code.

With the caveat Aaron mentioned, that sage being GPL, we must ask them
for explicit permission if we want to reuse any of their code (and
when we've done so, they've graciously agreed to relicense snippets as
BSD).  In contrast, sage can freely use code from ipython, which it
does.

> I don't think inline Cython support is on the roadmap at present - it sounds
> like the sort of thing that would make for a good extension. If you're
> interested in writing one, have a look here:
> http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/stable/config/extensions/index.html

Actually I have a very concrete plan on how to enable sage-style
'cell-level magics'.  The only problem is that the entire draft is in
my brain only and I haven't had the time to sit down and type it out.
The priority for this is obviously going up, so I'll do my best to
flush it soon.