[IPython-User] Help troubleshooting notebook as public server

Michael Waskom mwaskom@stanford....
Fri Jan 6 14:53:53 CST 2012

Hi all,

As I understand things, I should be able to set up the notebook such that I
can run the kernel on my desktop and access it remotely through a browser
on my laptop.  But I'm having some trouble getting that to work.

I've followed the directions here:

http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/dev/interactive/htmlnotebook.html#quick-howto-running-a-public-notebook-server

And created a new profile with edits as instructed (including the bit above
it about generating an ssl certificate).

I then start the kernel in a terminal as so:

$ ipython notebook --profile=nbserver
[NotebookApp] Using existing profile dir:
u'/Users/mwaskom/.ipython/profile_nbserver'
[NotebookApp] The IPython Notebook is running at: https://[all ip addresses
on your system]:9999
[NotebookApp] Use Control-C to stop this server and shut down all kernels.

I can access this notebook through the browser on the computer running the
kernel at
https://{hostname}:9999 (with the anticipated warning about a self-signed
certificate)

However, when I try and do that from my laptop, it just hangs.

I'm using ipython 0.12 on OS X 10.6.  The osx firewall is not running.

Unfortunately, I'm scraping at the bottom of my repertoire for
troubleshooting network issues, but am quite possibly missing something
obvious.  Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Michael