[IPython-User] tab completion in notebook gives weird results

Zoltán Vörös zvoros@gmail....
Fri Jan 6 14:58:36 CST 2012

Hi All,

I have noticed that the tab completion in certain cases produces quite
unexpected results. If I open a notebook without anything, and try to
load pylab via the magic machinery, then I get the following:

In [] : %pyl + TAB -> %pylab

In []: pyl + TAB -> pyllab

In []: pyla + TAB -> pylaab

Similarly,

In []: mag + TAB -> maggic
In []: %mag + TAB -> %magic

So, when I drop the % sign, the command is expanded incorrectly. I don't
see this behaviour in the qt frontend, because in that case the command
is not completed at all, only the possible completions are shown.
I was wondering whether it was supposed to be like this (I don't think
so), and whether I should file a bug report.
Cheers,
Zoltán