[IPython-User] tab completion in notebook gives weird results

Matthias Bussonnier bussonniermatthias@gmail....
Fri Jan 6 15:53:31 CST 2012

2012/1/6 Zoltán Vörös <zvoros@gmail.com>

> Hi All,
>
> I have noticed that the tab completion in certain cases produces quite
> unexpected results. If I open a notebook without anything, and try to
> load pylab via the magic machinery, then I get the following:
>
> In [] : %pyl + TAB -> %pylab
>
> In []: pyl + TAB -> pyllab
>
> In []: pyla + TAB -> pylaab
>
> Similarly,
>
> In []: mag + TAB -> maggic
> In []: %mag + TAB -> %magic
>
> So, when I drop the % sign, the command is expanded incorrectly. I don't
> see this behaviour in the qt frontend, because in that case the command
> is not completed at all, only the possible completions are shown.
> I was wondering whether it was supposed to be like this (I don't think
> so), and whether I should file a bug report.

Yes, go ahead, open an issues on github.
This is due to the completer assuming that what you typed in the code cell
as exactly the same length of the beggining of the completion, which is not
the case with magic as they are prefixed with %. I should have thought of
it and will try to come up with a fix soon.

Thanks for the report.
--
Matthias