[IPython-User] Parallel question: Sending data directly between engines

MinRK benjaminrk@gmail....
Fri Jan 6 22:18:37 CST 2012

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 20:05, Matthew Rocklin <mrocklin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Looks like there is another example in that same directory that creates
> some convenience functions around inter-engine communication. I suspect it
> will solve my problem.
>

> https://github.com/ipython/ipython/blob/master/docs/examples/parallel/interengine/interengine.py

Yes, the interengine should be the simpler, more relevant example.

The principal reason we do not have direct inter-engine communication as a
part of the IPython cluster is that an important requirement that we *do
not* have is the visibility of engines to each other and/or the Controller.
 The Controller is the only thing that listens, and thus the only one that
must be accessible.  For instance, you can have engines connecting to the
same Controller from all kinds of different clusters / subnets.  For this
reason, inter-engine communication will not work in nearly as many
environments as the current IPython cluster.  Obviously most simple
deployments would have no problem running things like the above example.

I might write some more examples for client-level proxy objects that allow
a better interface for inter-engine communication.