[IPython-User] adding extra content to htmlnotebook

Zoltán Vörös zvoros@gmail....
Sat Jan 7 12:59:26 CST 2012

Hi All,

I would like to ask if it is possible to tamper with the htmlnotebook in
the following way. What I would like to have is the following:

1. A label that shows the current position of the cursor in a cell. If
this was doable, then the notebook itself could be used as code-savvy
editor. It would also help in debugging, because the traceback usually
tells which one the offending line is in a function, but it is useless
information, if one cannot find the line in question. I was thinking
that if a cell has multiple lines, then the space under "In []" is not
used anyway, and then it could hold the line number and cursor position.
My question is then where should one look for entry points for this,
whether it is already in the works, or whether it would just be plain
incompatible with ipython.

2. I would also find a collapsable/expandable cells useful, so that
"finished" code be hidden from the user. Would it be possible to insert
the corresponding javascript into the html code? Again, if the answer is
positive, where should one start to implement this?

Cheers,
Zoltán