[IPython-User] adding extra content to htmlnotebook

MinRK benjaminrk@gmail....
Sat Jan 7 13:17:29 CST 2012

2012/1/7 Zoltán Vörös <zvoros@gmail.com>

> Hi All,
>
> I would like to ask if it is possible to tamper with the htmlnotebook in
> the following way. What I would like to have is the following:
>
> 1. A label that shows the current position of the cursor in a cell. If
> this was doable, then the notebook itself could be used as code-savvy
> editor. It would also help in debugging, because the traceback usually
> tells which one the offending line is in a function, but it is useless
> information, if one cannot find the line in question. I was thinking
> that if a cell has multiple lines, then the space under "In []" is not
> used anyway, and then it could hold the line number and cursor position.
> My question is then where should one look for entry points for this,
> whether it is already in the works, or whether it would just be plain
> incompatible with ipython.

Are you just asking for line-numbers? These can already be toggled with
^M-L.  See the QuickHelp info for other shortcuts.

> 2. I would also find a collapsable/expandable cells useful, so that
> "finished" code be hidden from the user. Would it be possible to insert
> the corresponding javascript into the html code? Again, if the answer is
> positive, where should one start to implement this?

You can show/hide the output of the current cell with the Output: Toggle
button on the left (shortcut ^M-T).  Or you can actively remove the output
of all cells with ClearAll, in which case they won't be available again
until the code is re-run.