[IPython-User] Help troubleshooting notebook as public server

Michael Waskom mwaskom@stanford....
Mon Jan 9 17:57:28 CST 2012

Hi Fernando,

Thanks for the hypothesis generation. It turns out that indeed we do have a
firewall on the network side that was blocking access.  To get IT to open
some ports for me, I need to answer the following question, which I
couldn't figure out from the docs (compounded by my limited understanding
of, well, the internet):  whether the ports use UDP or TCP.

Also, I just want to paranoidly confirm that this server will be secure
"out of the box" provided I followed the directions about setting up a
password for my notebook and transmitting it via SSL (so that possible
intruders don't get shell-like access to my system).

Thanks!

Michael