[IPython-User] questions about latex rendering in ipython with sympy

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Mon Jan 9 20:41:28 CST 2012

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 6:27 PM, Comer Duncan <comer.duncan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a recent user who wants to use ipython .12 to write notebooks.  I have
> ipython installed and working on my macbook pro.  I am beginning to write a
> notebook and like very much the flexibility it allows. Thanks to the
> developers.
>
> The notebook I am working on uses sympy.  I note that the sympy example
> renders equations.  However, in my humble view the quality of the rendered
> equations is minimal.  Mathjax does a much better job I think.  I have
> cribbed the sympy example as a starter for building the notebook.  I am
> wondering whether ipython works with CDN Mathjax rather than the currently
> working (but not particularly pretty) equation renderings used in ipython?
>  I have a separate blog which uses Mathjax and like its features.
>
> Thanks for any help you can provide.  Sorry for the primitive nature of my
> concerns!

I'm sorry but I'm not sure what can be going on, as the notebook does
use mathjax to render its equations as well.  The sympy objects simply
return a latex expression that is put into html, and we let mathjax
finish rendering it.  So I don't quite understand what differences you
are seeing between the rendering of the notebook and mathjax output
elsewhere.

Perhaps a screenshot of the rendering you consider sub-par would help
us figure it out.

best