[IPython-User] questions about latex rendering in ipython with sympy

Aaron Meurer asmeurer@gmail....
Tue Jan 10 03:51:45 CST 2012

If I understand the question correctly, he is not using the sympy
profile, which enables mathjax output, but just the regular SymPy
pretty printing.  Correct me if I am wrong.

To enable MathJax printing, load the notebook with --profile=sympy.
This will also import all of sympy and define common symbols, like
isympy.  I think there's a way to do this without the profile, but the
IPython guys will have to comment on how to do that. I know you can
import display from IPython.core.display and use that, but I don't
know if there's some magic to set the display hook to that for you.

We do plan to implement this in sympy so you can just do
init_printing() from within the notebook and it will enable the LaTeX
printing with MathJax by default (the same in the qtconsole). See
http://code.google.com/p/sympy/issues/detail?id=2945.  We also plan to
implement isympy -c qtconsole and isympy -c notebook, which will do
roughly the equivalent of ipython notebook --profile=sympy
(http://code.google.com/p/sympy/issues/detail?id=2632).  But it hasn't
been done yet (patches welcome :)

Aaron Meurer