[IPython-User] Help troubleshooting notebook as public server

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Tue Jan 10 04:19:29 CST 2012

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 3:57 PM, Michael Waskom <mwaskom@stanford.edu> wrote:
> Thanks for the hypothesis generation. It turns out that indeed we do have a
> firewall on the network side that was blocking access.  To get IT to open
> some ports for me, I need to answer the following question, which I couldn't
> figure out from the docs (compounded by my limited understanding of, well,
> the internet):  whether the ports use UDP or TCP.

TCP.

> Also, I just want to paranoidly confirm that this server will be secure "out
> of the box" provided I followed the directions about setting up a password
> for my notebook and transmitting it via SSL (so that possible intruders
> don't get shell-like access to my system).

Well, in as much as we haven't found security holes yet under those
conditions :)

What I mean is: there are no 'guaranteed secure' systems on the
internet, only systems whose security flaws haven't been found yet.
For this reason, we more than welcome scrutiny of the code that deals
with these issues in IPython, and will do our best to rapidly address
any problems reported to us.

But with these caveats, the answer is: yes, to the best of our
knowledge, once you put a password and enable SSL, the system is
secure.  SSL forces all communication between your browser and the
server to travel encrypted (including the password) and having a
password means that nobody can get past the front page unless they
know it.

We also made sure the password storage format is in hashed/salted
mode, so that even if someone reads your config file (which is stored
in user-only directories just like SSH keys are), they still don't
have your password.  There is enough salt to make any brute-force
attack using precomputed tables with present generation technology
impractical.