[IPython-User] websocket problem in remote html notebook with Mac OS X Safari

Andrew Jaffe a.h.jaffe@gmail....
Mon Jan 9 16:54:01 CST 2012

Hi all,

I'm running a notebook server as discussed in the
[docs](http://ipython.org/ipython-doc/stable/interactive/htmlnotebook.html#quick-howto-running-a-public-notebook-server),
complete with the openssl certificate.

The server is on one Mac, and I am trying to connect from another, all
running OS X Lion.

I *can* attach to the server through the Chrome browser, but when I try
to use Safari it fails.

To be specific, the I can log into the server and get to the IPython
Notebook list screen, and when I click "New Notebook", it sets up the
Notebook screen, but gives me a popup entitled "Websocket Closed", with
the message:

"Websocket connection to
wss://<server.name>:<port>/kernels/<bunch-of-hex-chars> could not be
established.
You will NOT be able to run code.
Your browser may not be compatible with the websocket version in the
server, or if the url does not look right, there could be an error in
the server's configuration."

The same error occurs even on the same machine as the server, accessed
through localhost:<port>

Any ideas?

Andrew