[IPython-User] Questions regarding notebook

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Thu Jan 12 05:02:08 CST 2012

On 12 January 2012 08:18, Thomas Wiecki <thomas.wiecki@googlemail.com>wrote:

> * Is it possible to change or disable the kernel time-out? I often
> start a long-running analysis in the notebook so I constantly get
> messages about an unresponsive kernel. Even worse, even after clicking
> on "Keep on running", the cell is not updated with new output (i.e.
> matplotlib plots) afterwards. Is that a bug?

I thought the design was able to detect the kernel even when it was in
long-running code - the 'heartbeat' runs in its own thread in C code.

The timeout is configurable - search for 'heart' in your ipython_config.py
file. Others will be able to give you more details.

>  * Is it possible to update all viewers when something changes? I'd
> like to use the notebook for collaborative coding and exploration of
> issues, so having the same IPython shell would be awesome. However, if
> two sessions are entering commands at the same time, I can access
> their variables, but I do not see new cells emerging or plots being
> generated as they are produced by the other party (would have to save
> and re-open).

Not yet. Live collaboration is definitely planned, and the messaging
architecture is designed to support it, but it's not been implemented yet.

Thomas