[IPython-User] adding files to the notebook list

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Thu Jan 12 14:41:17 CST 2012

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/12/12 5:35 PM, Brian Granger wrote:
>> 2012/1/12 Zoltán Vörös<zvoros@gmail.com>:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I have noticed that on linux, not all file managers work with the "Drag
>>> files" method when one wants to import ipython scripts in the
>>> htmlnotebook.
>>
>> I am not what you mean by this.  Could you elaborate further.
>>
>>> I was wondering whether, in order to circumvent similar
>>> issues, a file chooser could be added to the HTML interface, or it would
>>> entail serious security problems, and it was a conscious decision not to
>>> go down that path.
>>
>> We would love to, but to implement a more traditional file chooser
>> would require using Flash, which we don't want to do at this point.
>> But this is something we are thinking about how we want to handle.
>
> Is there no way use an <input type="file"> field and accept a POST containing
> the file contents?

We can do that, but there is no way of styling the UI elements.  You
end up with a butt ugly interface.  There are a range of hacks out
there, but most sites end up using flash if they need file uploads.

Cheers,

Brian

> --
> Robert Kern

>  that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had
>  an underlying truth."
>   -- Umberto Eco

Brian E. Granger