[IPython-User] adding files to the notebook list

Paul Ivanov pivanov314@gmail....
Thu Jan 12 15:14:29 CST 2012

Brian Granger, on 2012-01-12 12:41,  wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Is there no way use an <input type="file"> field and accept a POST containing
> > the file contents?
>
> We can do that, but there is no way of styling the UI elements.  You
> end up with a butt ugly interface.

If forced to choose between "pretty" and "functional", I'll take
the latter, please (and I'm glad my partner did the same).  It's
similar to Covey's distinction of "personality ethic" and
"character ethic" -- one's about how you carry yourself, the
other's about who you are and what you stand for.

I often (e.g. right now) run a bare window manager - and now need
to start up a file manager just to add files to a running
notebook service. I know I can just copy the files into the right
place from the command line, but it's kind of weird to have that
"you can just drag files into here" taunting me.

best,
--
Paul Ivanov
314 address only used for lists,  off-list direct email at: