[IPython-User] Questions regarding notebook

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Thu Jan 12 15:25:33 CST 2012

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 4:37 AM, Thomas Wiecki
<thomas.wiecki@googlemail.com> wrote:

>> # Kernel heartbeat interval in seconds.
>> c.MappingKernelManager.time_to_dead = 3.0
>
> Yup, I looked there too but then remembered that I overwrote it with
> the example config from the ipython notebook tutorial. I recreated the
> config and the parameter is there. I set the value to 120, which does
> the trick, and will pray the kernel server never crashes ;).

It's odd that you had to set it so high; as Thomas K. said, the
heartbeat runs in its own C++ thread by zeromq, so the fact that your
machine is busy should have little impact on this, unless your
computations are hitting your box so hard and causing so much virtual
memor paging that the thread-switching latency at the OS level is
worse than 3s.