[IPython-User] adding files to the notebook list

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Thu Jan 12 15:42:37 CST 2012

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Aaron Meurer <asmeurer@gmail.com> wrote:
> By the way, I've had someone report to me that the drag and drop did
> not work for him (I think he was on Windows).  It was probably just
> some glitch, but I'm sure that an "add file" button would have been
> more helpful.
>
> Also, would it be possible to add a "change directory" button?  That
> would probably help with many related problems as well.

We are definitely planning on having the ability to navigate the
directory structure.  We are still working on exactly what that would
look like, but it is on our radar.

Cheers,

Brian

> Aaron Meurer
>
> On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 2:14 PM, Paul Ivanov <pivanov314@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Brian Granger, on 2012-01-12 12:41,  wrote:
>>>
>>> We can do that, but there is no way of styling the UI elements.  You
>>> end up with a butt ugly interface.
>>
>> If forced to choose between "pretty" and "functional", I'll take
>> the latter, please (and I'm glad my partner did the same).  It's
>> similar to Covey's distinction of "personality ethic" and
>> "character ethic" -- one's about how you carry yourself, the
>> other's about who you are and what you stand for.
>>
>> I often (e.g. right now) run a bare window manager - and now need
>> to start up a file manager just to add files to a running
>> notebook service. I know I can just copy the files into the right
>> place from the command line, but it's kind of weird to have that
>> "you can just drag files into here" taunting me.
>>
>> best,
>> --
>> Paul Ivanov
>> 314 address only used for lists,  off-list direct email at:
>> http://pirsquared.org | GPG/PGP key id: 0x0F3E28F7

Brian E. Granger