[IPython-User] adding files to the notebook list

MinRK benjaminrk@gmail....
Thu Jan 12 16:56:44 CST 2012

2012/1/12 Zoltán Vörös <zvoros@gmail.com>

> On 01/12/2012 10:44 PM, Brian Granger wrote:
> > 2012/1/12 Zoltán Vörös<zvoros@gmail.com>:
> >> I am not sure why it should be ugly. All one would need is a button
> >> "Open", or something like that, that pops up the system file chooser
> >> dialogue. Something like this:
> >> http://www.html5rocks.com/en/tutorials/file/dndfiles/
> >> The first example doesn't even load anything, it simply writes a string
> >> (the file name) into a field. The field is already there are the top of
> >> the ipython frontend.
> > I agree that it *shouldn't* be ugly, but it is.
> I guess, then our criteria for ugliness are different. I don't think
> that anything is wrong with the dashboard, but as several other people
> pointed out, even if we accept that it is ugly, there are things that
> could be useful, and wouldn't make the dashboard even uglier.
> Cheers,
> Zoltán

Yes, we simply must have a regular file dialog available, because drag/drop
is just not sufficiently reliable on all systems.

The approach that seems simplest to me is similar to GMail's attachment
link - a regular link unhides the actual builtin upload-file button.  It's
two clicks to upload instead of one, but it lets the mismatched UI be drawn
only when needed, which seems acceptable.

-MinRK