[IPython-User] Getting a clean prompt without Ctrl-C

Aaron Meurer asmeurer@gmail....
Sat Jan 14 09:06:04 CST 2012

This is probably the most annoying default in IPython (unless we're
counting the notebook, in which case I have to vote for Shift-Enter
for execute).

I put the following in my
c.TerminalInteractiveShell.readline_parse_and_bind in my IPython
profile.

'"\\M-p": history-search-backward','"\\M-P": history-search-forward',
'"\\C-p": history-search-backward', '"\\C-n": history-search-forward',

The second two fix it to work like it does in bash.  I think this also
changes the behavior of the arrow keys, but I could be wrong.  The
first two set Alt-p and Alt-Shift-p to do search like it does now in
IPython, based on the substring where the cursor is at.  I also put
similar lines in my .inputrc to get this behavior in bash.

Let me know if this doesn't work for you, because that means that
there is something else in my IPython profile that is fixing this for
me (you can see the whole thing at
https://github.com/asmeurer/dotfiles/blob/master/.ipython/profile_default/ipython_config.py).

Aaron Meurer