[IPython-User] Getting a clean prompt without Ctrl-C

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sat Jan 14 22:40:52 CST 2012

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 8:13 AM, Thomas Wiecki
<thomas.wiecki@googlemail.com> wrote:
> I don't really see why this should be inconsistent to the ipython text
> console (which allows multiline with strg+enter).

Which IPython are you referring to?  There is no way to enter
multiline text in the terminal, period.

In the Qt console, multiline input is inferred when possible, and can
be forced with Ctrl-Enter, leaving Shift-Enter to force execution, so
that the qt console and the notebook are 100% consistent in this
regard.

The notebook is designed first and foremost for multiline editing, so
we made the decision early on to stick with separate keystrokes for
newline and code execution, leaving enter to naturally do newline.  In
this regard, we've made the same choice Mathematica made over 15 years
ago and Sage in 2006, and I happen to think it is the right UI choice
as well (we happily deviate from other systems whenever we think
there's a better solution).

If anyone has a suggestion on how to improve the user experience,
we're certainly happy to hear ideas.  But be sure that these choices
were not an accident, and rather the result of *extremely* careful
consideration and years of experience with both the Mathematica and
Sage notebooks.