[IPython-User] Getting a clean prompt without Ctrl-C

Thomas Wiecki thomas.wiecki@googlemail....
Sun Jan 15 06:10:16 CST 2012

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 5:40 AM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 8:13 AM, Thomas Wiecki
> <thomas.wiecki@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> I don't really see why this should be inconsistent to the ipython text
>> console (which allows multiline with strg+enter).
>
> Which IPython are you referring to?  There is no way to enter
> multiline text in the terminal, period.

Right, I tried it in the qtconsole and assumed it worked the same in
the terminal, thanks for the clarification.

> The notebook is designed first and foremost for multiline editing, so
> we made the decision early on to stick with separate keystrokes for
> newline and code execution, leaving enter to naturally do newline.  In
> this regard, we've made the same choice Mathematica made over 15 years
> ago and Sage in 2006, and I happen to think it is the right UI choice
> as well (we happily deviate from other systems whenever we think
> there's a better solution).
>
> If anyone has a suggestion on how to improve the user experience,
> we're certainly happy to hear ideas.  But be sure that these choices
> were not an accident, and rather the result of *extremely* careful
> consideration and years of experience with both the Mathematica and
> Sage notebooks.

I am very certain they are. I haven't used the notebook as much but my
usage pattern is similar to that of the qtconsole/terminal. So I think
it is likely that the notebook will be used for very different
purposes. Some people (e.g. those who used Sage or Mathematica before,
or those who want to do mainly multiline editing) will appreciate the
consistency, others (like me) coming from the terminal or qtconsole
will expect/want it to work just like those do and think the other way
to be inconsistent.

What about making execute-on-enter an option in the notebook config?
Or a check-box in the notebook itself.

In any case, this is a minor confusion and a detail in an overall
amazing and much appreciated feature.

My 2 cents,
Thomas