[IPython-User] Getting a clean prompt without Ctrl-C

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Sun Jan 15 06:42:41 CST 2012

On 15 January 2012 12:10, Thomas Wiecki <thomas.wiecki@googlemail.com>wrote:

> Some people (e.g. those who used Sage or Mathematica before,
> or those who want to do mainly multiline editing) will appreciate the
> consistency, others (like me) coming from the terminal or qtconsole
> will expect/want it to work just like those do and think the other way
> to be inconsistent.

I'll chime in here - I hadn't used Sage, Mathematica, or any notebook-like
system before. It's taking a bit of finger-retraining to do
shift-enter/ctrl-enter in the notebook, but I do think it makes sense. To
me, the notebook feels very different from the interacting with either
console, just because you can go back to a previous cell, change it and
re-run it. This means that you build cells as logical units of code, rather
than tiny fragments - for instance, the imports and simple preparation
naturally go into the first cell.

I guess what I'm saying is: stick with it for a few weeks, and see if you
still want it to work like the consoles.

Best wishes,
Thomas