[IPython-User] autosave in notebook

Zoltán Vörös zvoros@gmail....
Sun Jan 15 14:01:15 CST 2012

Hi Brian,

On one hand, I see your point, on the other hand, I don't. I agree that
unintentionally overwriting existing and valid data with new, but faulty
one is a problem. However, just as big a problem is when the browser
fails, and you lose the data altogether.

As a temporary solution, couldn't there be a backup file to which one
could autosave every 5 minutes, or whatever, and you would only write to
the master file when pressing the "Save" button? That would eliminate
the issue you raised, but would still be more than nothing.

If that is an acceptable solution (writing to notebook.ipynb.backup
every 5 minutes), I still don't know how one would implement this. I
could set up a timer, and call save_notebook(), but how can I retrieve
the currently active tab in the browser? If I write the timer function
into the notebook template, will the same timer apply to all open
notebooks, or only the active one? Besides, I am not certain at all as
to where exactly the timer should be.

Any comments on this, or you think that this approach is just an ugly
hack, and it is really not worthwhile?
Cheers,
Zoltán