[IPython-User] autosave in notebook

MinRK benjaminrk@gmail....
Sun Jan 15 14:49:47 CST 2012

2012/1/15 Brian Granger <ellisonbg@gmail.com>:
> 2012/1/15 Zoltán Vörös <zvoros@gmail.com>:
>> Hi Brian,
>>
>> On one hand, I see your point, on the other hand, I don't. I agree that
>> unintentionally overwriting existing and valid data with new, but faulty one
>> is a problem. However, just as big a problem is when the browser fails, and
>> you lose the data altogether.
>
> Yes, which is why we are thinking about these things.  But
> realistically, I have been using/developing the notebook for many
> months (probably more than most), and I can't think of a single time
> that my browser crashed leading to a loss of data.  That is not to say
> it doesn't happen, but that the situation is not so severe that can't
> take a little time to figure our a permanent solution.

Intermittent network connections and traveling laptops (connected to
non-local notebook) are probably more likely causes than crashing
browsers.

>> As a temporary solution, couldn't there be a backup file to which one could
>> autosave every 5 minutes, or whatever, and you would only write to the
>> master file when pressing the "Save" button? That would eliminate the issue
>> you raised, but would still be more than nothing.
>
> I guess I would rather wait a bit longer and figure out how we want
> the notebook to integrate with version control systems.  In our view
> this part of the notebook is extremely important and is worth getting
> right.  For now I am -1 on implementing a temporary solution,
> especially one which pollutes the local directory.  I would like to
> hear from others though (@fperez, @minrk, @takluyver?).

Fernando proposed *exactly* this, backup-save a while back, and I
think it's a good idea.  A document-based webapp that doesn't autosave
is simply not a good webapp, because the assumption network
connections are sustained and reliable is a 'recipe for data loss', as
you put it.  This is not a significant issue for localhost notebooks,
but it would be for remote ones.  My principal objection at the time
to an implementation detail was adding clutter to the working dir,
which I think we should work very hard to avoid doing.