[IPython-User] autosave in notebook

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sun Jan 15 15:15:37 CST 2012

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 12:49 PM, MinRK <benjaminrk@gmail.com> wrote:
> Fernando proposed *exactly* this, backup-save a while back, and I
> think it's a good idea.

I'm still +1 on this approach, for the reasons you and others list.
Data loss is one of those things where N=1 is already too many, and I
actually have lost data on notebooks due to connection gitches on one
or two occasions.  I'm a compulsive manual saver so the loss has been
trivial, but it still can happen.

I think that, as much of a passionate version control advocate as I am
(I say this as I just finished lecturing at Berkeley's Python bootcamp
on git for 1 1/2 hours), I think a lightweight local autobackup
mechanism is really a must for the long haul.  I propose that it:

- names the autosave for f.ipynb as f_autosave.ipynb so that it can
also be loaded as a notebook without having to rename it.
- the notebook deletes the autosave files upon successful shutdown so
they don't litter around.
- autosave be on by default but be a configurable so people can easily
turn it off  permanently if they so desire.

We can probably try to agree on the design here, and at that point can
make an issue for it.

Brian, do these arguments sound OK to you?