[IPython-User] Getting a clean prompt without Ctrl-C

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Sun Jan 15 16:07:42 CST 2012

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 1:21 PM, Fernando Perez <fperez.net@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 5:35 AM, Aaron Meurer <asmeurer@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> What about making execute-on-enter an option in the notebook config?
>>> Or a check-box in the notebook itself.
>>>

>> I second that request :)
>
> We'll be happy to consider a pull request :)

I am strongly -1 on having anything but shift-enter for code execution
in the notebook - even as an option.  As Fernando mentioned, it has
become the standard for notebook style interfaces and
over-configurizing things adds complexity to the code base with little
benefit.

> More seriously, it's not trivial, because the notebook client is in
> javascript and not python.  The qt console can work as it does by
> relying on a piece of relatively complex python code we wrote, called
> the inputsplitter.  This code detects whether lines are complete or
> not for execution, by making extensive use of the python compiler.
> Doing this analysis correctly in javascript amounts to writing a
> python AST compiler in Javascript.  Not impossible, but most certainly
> a task I'm not about to embark in any time soon...
>
> Cheers,

Brian E. Granger