[IPython-User] how to start ipython

Gene Leynes gleynes@gmail....
Sat Jan 14 15:02:48 CST 2012

Sorry for asking a basic question that had already been answered.  If I had
seen a link to a searchable archive of this help list on the main iPython
site, then I would have used that first!

Problem 1: Some how my path got screwed up,
Solution: I had to add python back (and some other programs that were no
longer there).  It was probably either a recent SQL installation, or user
error.
How to change the path:
In windows this involves right clicking on "My computer" and choose
properties.  Go to "advanced" tab, and modify the path in "Environmental
variables".  Copy in the Python path and the Python Scripts path, separated
by semi colons.  If this seems unclear to any reader, then search for "how
to modify path", and you'll find more better instructions and pictures.

Problem 2) I didn't have "setuptools" installed, which I guess iPython uses
(and other libraries also use this, so it's probably good to have).
Solution to problem 2) I had to run the setuptools installation.  A very
good explanation of this is in the *answers* in this URL:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1756721/what-is-causing-importerror-no-module-named-pkg-resources-after-upgrade-of-pyth

Thanks

Gene