[IPython-User] Getting a clean prompt without Ctrl-C

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Mon Jan 16 01:13:05 CST 2012

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 2:07 PM, Brian Granger <ellisonbg@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am strongly -1 on having anything but shift-enter for code execution
> in the notebook - even as an option.  As Fernando mentioned, it has
> become the standard for notebook style interfaces and
> over-configurizing things adds complexity to the code base with little
> benefit.
>
>> More seriously, it's not trivial, because the notebook client is in
>> javascript and not python.

[...]

I figured that the explanation that this 'feature' would require more
or less the implementation of a full-blown python compiler in
javascript would kind of nip it in the bud :)

But you are right, so to avoid any ambiguity: this is one of those
decisions for which almost two decades of experience show us that the
model works extremely well in everyday practice, even when moving back
and forth between an enter-based terminal and a Ctrl-enter notebook.
Mathematica  has both in a setup that's architecturally more or less
identical to how ipython works (i.e. a terminal based in-process
kernel+frontend, and a frontend notebook with out-of-process kernels
that can be interrupted and restarted).  And this execution model does
really work very well once you get used to it, so as Thomas suggest,
give it a try.

The larger point Brian makes about configuration is also very valid:
we should not make every single last bit of ipython's functionality
configurable, because every new option also comes with a price in
added complexity and maintenance requirements.  So we need to find a
balance between sensible defaults and providing configuration only
when really necessary to cover diverging use cases.