[IPython-User] how to start ipython

Thomas Kluyver takowl@gmail....
Mon Jan 16 05:06:22 CST 2012

On 14 January 2012 21:02, Gene Leynes <gleynes@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry for asking a basic question that had already been answered.  If I
> had seen a link to a searchable archive of this help list on the main
> iPython site, then I would have used that first!

Don't worry, these things happen, and in fact I didn't find this problem
with a few searches on the mailing list. Just to nitpick, though: the
search box on the top right of the website includes the mailing lists.

Problem 2) I didn't have "setuptools" installed, which I guess iPython uses
> (and other libraries also use this, so it's probably good to have).
> Solution to problem 2) I had to run the setuptools installation.  A very
> good explanation of this is in the *answers* in this URL:
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1756721/what-is-causing-importerror-no-module-named-pkg-resources-after-upgrade-of-pyth

Nowadays you probably want distribute, a fork of setuptools that's actively
maintained. Instructions here:
http://pypi.python.org/pypi/distribute#installation-instructions

We think distribute/setuptools is necessary on Windows to create the start
menu shortcuts, but we'd love to be proved wrong on this. The core
developers mostly use Linux and Mac, so there's certainly room for
contributions for better Windows support.

Best wishes,
Thomas