[IPython-User] how to start ipython

Gene Leynes gleynes@gmail....
Mon Jan 16 10:39:43 CST 2012

Thomas,

Thanks for your response.

I noticed some references to PIP, but I didn't realize that it was a
preferred method.  I'll switch to that in the future.

My biggest frustration was that I didn't know how to use "easy_install".  I
was trying to run it from python instead of the command line, and I was
trying to plug in URLs or zip archive downloads.  Turns out it's a lot
easier than that (and I'm sure pip is the same).

Also, thanks for pointing out the glaringly obvious search mechanism on the
main iPython page, I totally missed it.

The search tool is nice, but I was looking for something more like this:
http://python.6.n6.nabble.com/IPython-f1646921.html
I personally prefer markmail over nabble, but iPython is not on Markmail
yet.

I ended up running most of my installations from binaries, so the
shortcomings of easy_install didn't impact me.  At one point, while looking
at some setup script, it seemed that it relied on some environmental
variables that I didn't have; specifically PYTHONPATH.  I added it, but I
don't think it mattered for what I ended up doing.  However, I got the
impression that some environmental variables used to get created, and they
don't anymore.

I found a great web post about installing Python and its modules on Windows:
http://blog.sadphaeton.com/2009/01/20/python-development-windows-part-1installing-python.html
http://blog.sadphaeton.com/2009/01/20/python-development-windows-part-2-installing-easyinstallcould-be-easier.html

Thanks again,

Gene