[IPython-User] Canncial way to do web based ipython shell?

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Wed Jan 18 12:19:47 CST 2012

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 1:45 PM, Anthony Oliver <anthony@ingenuitas.com> wrote:
> Is there a correct way to just build the shell that could work within a
> browser, or an example somewhere?

You would need to build a custom web application from the ground up.
The best example is the current notebook code.  It shows how to use
ZeroMQ to communicate with IPython kernels using JSON messages.  But
the code is not really designed to be used as a library.  We plan on
moving in that direction, but it will take time.

> I basically want the functionality of the notebook.  My problem with using
> notebooks is that we are currently using ipython as an embedded shell which
> is awesome. But we want to extend it through a web interface, the notebook
> method is perfectly fine, except in our application, the current running
> program is always in context, so you can think of it as only ever needing
> one notebook.
>
> I started diving into the notebook app itself, it appears much of the
> javascript is also looking for things (for instance I tried to override the
> handlers for the paths so the same thing is always served).  I can continue
> on my path, but I would imagine there maybe a more stripped down example
> floating around some where.

Unfortunately we don't have any other examples.  On one hand, the
notebook app is a fairly simple example itself.  It shows the basics
of how you would communicate with kernels and display output, etc.  On
the other hand, notebook web application is extremely complex.  There
are multiple channels of communication (WebSockets, Ajax), everything
is async and you have to wade through our JSON based message protocol.
 Not sure if this helps, but I think your approach of diving into the
notebook code base is a good one.

Cheers,

Brian

> Thanks.