[IPython-User] make the QtConsole a bit longer? changing inline from inside IPython?

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Wed Jan 18 16:40:12 CST 2012

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 3:32 AM, Mark Bakker <markbak@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. Can a blank line be inserted at the bottom of the console as was standard
> in the old IPython console? The way it is right now is that the cursor sits
> at the bottom of the console most of my session which is ugly and difficult
> to work with. I know, this is only a minor feature request, but boy would it
> look a lot better.

The qt console is in that regard not really different from the
terminal one: the impression you have of inserting a newline is simply
due to a size coincidence with your fonts and terminal emulator, that
probably leaves a gap at the bottom for any shell you use.  We don't
explicitly insert any space at the bottom in the console.  In fact,
depending on what terminal emulator I use, I can get the bottom
behavior to be identical to that of the qt console or to have a bit of
space.  Using gnome-terminal I get zero bottom padding and once I
reach the bottom, my cursor is flush with the edge of the window,
while using terminator there's always ~ 1/2 line of padding at the
bottom, no matter how I resize it.

I don't know how easy it is to tweak the Qt code to add a bit of
padding always (say 1/2 line), feel free to open an issue for it.

> 2. Are there plans to turn the 'inline' figures on/off from inside the
> QtConsole rather than as a launch option? Or better yet, an IPython default
> parameter that can be set in the config file? Right now I need separate
> startup scripts for inline or not-inline.

You can configure this permanently in your config file, just like any
other option.  Simply set the pylab option of the Qt console
application to be 'inline'.

I do want to make this something that can be toggled at runtime,
because I've very often needed it, and I even had it working a while
back but this patch bitrotted, unfortunately.  If nobody beats me to
it with  a PR, eventually I'll do it again.