[IPython-User] Getting a clean prompt without Ctrl-C

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Thu Jan 19 22:24:18 CST 2012

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 8:40 AM, Aaron Meurer <asmeurer@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was thinking more along the lines of just having an option to switch
> Enter and Shift-Enter, so that Enter executes and Shift-Enter enters a
> new line.  Doing automatic stuff with continuations and so on would be
> cool, but more advanced than the basic feature I was referring to
> here.

The problem is then that if plain Enter executes, there's no way to
input multiline content.  Toggling all the time would get pretty
annoying quickly.

> As I noted somewhere else, aside from being very annoying, Shift-Enter
> is unportable: it's impossible to press on any kind of mobile device,
> such as iPhones, iPads, and from what I've tried/heard, Android
> devices as well.

The iphone/android point is a valid one, but one we can temporarily
address by adding an optional UI element that means 'run cell' which
is easy to click.  There's already one in the menus, but we could
expose an easier to access one as well, whose visibility could be
toggled.  It's a bummer that right now the notebook is basically
unusable from a mobile device that lacks a real keyboard.

But in the long run, the real answer to this is to have a mobile
version of the UI built with jquerymobile, so that it's really
finger-friendly everywhere, and based on metaphors that suit mobile
devices better than menus.

> I agree with this.  You can leave it as the default if you want, but I
> don't see why it shouldn't be configurable.

Well, in some cases, making something configurable is a trivial matter
of letting users set a value.  But in others, it means exposing
altogether different codepaths based on the value of the option, which
means more paths to test and maintain.  So there can be real cost to
making something configurable, it depends on the specifics of the
situation.