[IPython-User] question about rendering latex in ipython

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Fri Jan 20 12:50:08 CST 2012

You might be encountering this bug:

https://github.com/ipython/ipython/issues/1275

It shows some temporary fixes you might be able to use.  We will get
around to fixing this though.

Cheers,

Brian

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 10:48 AM, Comer Duncan <comer.duncan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am writing a notebook which uses sympy.  It seems to work fine.  However,
> when I create markdown cells and try to format a 3x3 matrix, it does not
> render properly.  Here is a simple example:
>
> Say I want to display a 3 by 3 matrix in a markdown cell. As a test, I have
> a matrix Elec in a code cell which has format returned by latex{Elec}:
>
> \left( \begin{smallmatrix}0 & E_{z}  & - E_{y}\\ - E_{z} & 0 & E_{x}\\ -
> E_{x} & 0\end{smallmatrix}\right(
>
> Just mentioning Elec in the code cell of course prints it in the expected
> output.  But when I copy the above into a markdown cell and surround it with
> $$s, it renders as
>
> ( 0  E_z  -E_y  -E_{z}  0  E_{x}  E_{y}  -E_{x}  0 )
>
> So in a markdown cell it does not render. I have tried other ways but all at
> most result in a 'vector' and not a matrix.
>
> I am wondering whether in markdown cells some additional packages would need
> to be included?  And is there some sympy stuff going on in the background
> affecting the rendering?
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Comer

Brian E. Granger