[IPython-User] User Installation of IPython Parallel Capabilities

MinRK benjaminrk@gmail....
Sat Jan 21 15:48:30 CST 2012

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 13:38, Erik Petigura <eptune@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear IPython,
>
> I need to install IPython on a cluster where I don't have root access.
>  There is mac ports python2.7 installed.  I edited the ~/.pydistutils.cfg
> file to do user installations.
>
> [597][petigura]$ cat ~/.pydistutils.cfg
> [install]
> install_lib = ~/Library/Python/$py_version_short/site-packages
> install_scripts = ~/bin
>

> And I was able to install IPython with easy_install.
>

> [601][petigura]$ easy_install-2.7 --upgrade ipython
>

> However, when I tried installing pyzmq for parallel capabilities,
> easy_install failed.  I think it's having a hard time building zmq.  Here's
> the error message:
>
> [602][petigura]$ easy_install-2.7 --upgrade pyzmq
> Searching for pyzmq
> Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/pyzmq/
> Reading http://github.com/zeromq/pyzmq
> Reading http://github.com/zeromq/pyzmq/downloads
> Best match: pyzmq 2.1.11
> Downloading https://github.com/downloads/zeromq/pyzmq/pyzmq-2.1.11.zip
> Processing pyzmq-2.1.11.zip
> Running pyzmq-2.1.11/setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir
> /tmp/easy_install-5iPT9m/pyzmq-2.1.11/egg-dist-tmp-UIkyY7
> Configure: Autodetecting ZMQ settings...
>     Custom ZMQ dir:       None
> detect/vers.c:3:17: error: zmq.h: No such file or directory
> detect/vers.c: In function 'main':
> detect/vers.c:7: warning: implicit declaration of function 'zmq_version'
> error: command '/usr/bin/gcc-4.0' failed with exit status 1
> Fatal:
>     Failed to compile ZMQ test program.  Please check to make sure:
>
>     * You have a C compiler installed
>     * A development version of Python is installed (including header files)
>     * A development version of ZMQ >= 2.1.4 is installed (including header
> files)
>     * If ZMQ is not in a default location, supply the argument --zmq=<path>
>     * If you did recently install ZMQ to a default location,
>       try rebuilding the ld cache with `sudo ldconfig`
>       or specify zmq's location with `--zmq=/usr/local`

As the above message describes, you need to *already have* libzmq in
order to build pyzmq from source, and if you install it to a
non-default location (presumably necessary if you don't have root
access) you will need to add a `python setup.py configure
--zmq=/path/to/libzmq/prefix` step prior to building.  The easiest way
to install libzmq is `brew install zeromq` with homebrew, but it's
just a simple `./configure --prefix=foo && make && make install`
package if you want to do it yourself.

That said, I don't know why your Python doesn't see the appropriate
OSX egg, which includes libzmq, but you might try fetching it
directly:

$> easy_install
http://pypi.python.org/packages/2.7/p/pyzmq/pyzmq-2.1.11-py2.7-macosx-10.7-intel.egg

If you are on 10.6, then it might be ignoring the 10.7 egg, but I'm
not sure that it won't actually work.

-MinRK