[IPython-User] User Installation of IPython Parallel Capabilities

MinRK benjaminrk@gmail....
Sat Jan 21 17:43:33 CST 2012

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 15:23, Erik Petigura <eptune@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the tips, Min!
>
> I couldn't get easy_install to work so I built libzmq from source then built pyzmq against it.
>
> Does homebrew allow for user installs?  My machines have macports on them and every time I need some new software, I have to bug the admin.

I believe homebrew is prefix-agnostic (just like macports, etc.), and
it will live in its own little anywhere you put it, e.g. ~/usr/local.

> Erik
>
> On Jan 21, 2012, at 1:48 PM, MinRK wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 13:38, Erik Petigura <eptune@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Dear IPython,
>>>
>>> I need to install IPython on a cluster where I don't have root access.
>>>  There is mac ports python2.7 installed.  I edited the ~/.pydistutils.cfg
>>> file to do user installations.
>>>
>>> [597][petigura]$ cat ~/.pydistutils.cfg
>>> [install]
>>> install_lib = ~/Library/Python/$py_version_short/site-packages
>>> install_scripts = ~/bin
>>>

>>> And I was able to install IPython with easy_install.
>>>

>>> [601][petigura]$ easy_install-2.7 --upgrade ipython
>>>

>>> However, when I tried installing pyzmq for parallel capabilities,
>>> easy_install failed.  I think it's having a hard time building zmq.  Here's
>>> the error message:
>>>
>>> [602][petigura]$ easy_install-2.7 --upgrade pyzmq
>>> Searching for pyzmq
>>> Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/pyzmq/
>>> Reading http://github.com/zeromq/pyzmq
>>> Reading http://github.com/zeromq/pyzmq/downloads
>>> Best match: pyzmq 2.1.11
>>> Downloading https://github.com/downloads/zeromq/pyzmq/pyzmq-2.1.11.zip
>>> Processing pyzmq-2.1.11.zip
>>> Running pyzmq-2.1.11/setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir
>>> /tmp/easy_install-5iPT9m/pyzmq-2.1.11/egg-dist-tmp-UIkyY7
>>> Configure: Autodetecting ZMQ settings...
>>>     Custom ZMQ dir:       None
>>> detect/vers.c:3:17: error: zmq.h: No such file or directory
>>> detect/vers.c: In function 'main':