[IPython-User] "save as" in notebook

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Sun Jan 22 13:08:17 CST 2012

Save is no different from any of the other actions in the Menus.  One
could argue that there are other actions (Run, Insert Above, Insert
Below, Move Up, Move Down) that will be used even more often than
Save.  For advanced users, keyboard shortcuts cover just about
everything.  It is the newer users that we need to think about.  For
them, the Menus are *complete*, but are a bit too verbose in requiring
two mouse clicks, some careful navigation.  There is also the fact
that the menus cover the notebook area when they are opened.  We need
a unified UI approach for commonly used actions - where only one click
is required.  In my mind, the answer to that is a thin, horizontal
button bar right below the menu bar.  We can even make it hidable in a
View Menu for people who use keyboard shortcuts and who want more
vertical space.  The other aspects of this is that I really want to
keep page specific logic/UI out of the header.  The header should be
universal to all notebook pages.  By having the notebook name in the
header we are already moving in the wrong direction - I think it makes
sense in this case - but I want to avoid moving further in that
direction.  For example another UI element that probably need to be
moved out of the header is the kernel status widget.  I am thinking
about ways that we can handle that.

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 6:45 AM, Julian Taylor
<jtaylor.debian@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 01/21/2012 03:40 PM, Thomas Kluyver wrote:
>> 2012/1/21 Zoltán Vörös <zvoros@gmail.com <mailto:zvoros@gmail.com>>
>>
>>     Thanks for pointing this out! I was so obsessed with "save" that I
>>     completely overlooked this, even though I use the development version.
>>

>> Speaking of this: I quite liked the Save button beside the name, which
>> seems to have been removed. I think save warrants being a one-click
>> action, not something you have to look in a menu for.
>>

> +1
>
> it was useful.

Brian E. Granger