[IPython-User] "save as" in notebook

Brian Granger ellisonbg@gmail....
Sun Jan 22 13:30:44 CST 2012

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Thomas Kluyver <takowl@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 22 January 2012 19:08, Brian Granger <ellisonbg@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The other aspects of this is that I really want to
>> keep page specific logic/UI out of the header.  The header should be
>> universal to all notebook pages.  By having the notebook name in the
>> header we are already moving in the wrong direction - I think it makes
>> sense in this case - but I want to avoid moving further in that
>> direction.  For example another UI element that probably need to be
>> moved out of the header is the kernel status widget
>

> I don't see why this is desirable. What is common to all notebook pages,
> besides that they're all IPython notebook pages? I don't need a 40px header
> just to tell me that. I'd much prefer to have some useful information and
> perhaps a button or two in there.

The notebook will be growing in significant ways: projects dashboard,
parallel computing dashboard (coming soon!), sharing, etc.  The header
needs to support all of these pages in a uniform manner.  In my mind,
the header will end up looking much like the github or Google headers.
 Some of the UI elements that will appear there:

* Login/Logout
* Global Help links, other site wide nagivation links.
* Links to a project and notebook dashboard.
* Links to a settings page for each user.

I don't see why our header won't be every bit as dense as the headers
of other sites.  Unfortunately, it may be dense enough that even the
notebook name has to be moved elsewhere.  If that happens I would
probably try to move it into the R side of the menu bar to keep the
vertical footprint small.  We will just have to see how the header
develops though.

Cheers,

Brian

--