[IPython-User] autoscrolling in html notebook

Fernando Perez fperez.net@gmail....
Sun Jan 22 16:49:29 CST 2012

2012/1/22 Zoltán Vörös <zvoros@gmail.com>

> Are you asking for logic that does:
>
> if cell 0 selected:
>   scroll_to_top
> if cell -1 selected:
>   scroll to bottom
>
> I think I could add that but I would like to understand the problem a
> bit better first.
>
>  I think this would be cool, but perhaps others should add their voice to
> this. Others might want it otherwise.

The problem is that if the last cell is longer than the screen, then scroll
to bottom might be too far, no?

Actually I just realized one thing that may be easy to change, and that
would help *a lot*: if we could make Escape lose keyboard focus and gain
'cell focus', then it would be much easier to page up/down in a notebook.
Right now page up/down scroll very fast, but only if you have selected a
whole cell and are not focused inside the cell; it's a little tricky to
reach that state with the mouse (you have to click the cell outline).  But
if Esc gave you that, I think most of my scrolling gripes would go away:

- type type type...
- Want to scroll up or down? Esc.
- page up....
- read what I need
- page down...
- Enter
- back to editing.

This would be fast and fluid, and would not require the mouse at all.